Whether you’ve upgraded to a new phone, or have gotten a new phone case, or just want to change things up a little bit, you may be wondering what to do with an old phone case. An old phone case doesn’t have to be trash. There are lots of creative ways to reuse, upgrade, or get rid of an old phone case. Here are five creative ways to use an old phone case that don’t involve tossing it into a landfill.
1. Customize your phone case
Maybe you don’t need to get rid of your old phone case. Consider giving your old phone case a makeover, for a whole new look with your old case.
- Washi tape: Wrap your case in your favorite washi tape for a whole new look in no time at all
- Stickers: Use stickers, googly eyes, or sparkly gems to give your phone case a personality
- Sharpie pens or paints: Draw patterns on your phone case with paints or sharpie to add vibrancy
- Wrap it: Use gift wrap, art paper, or even candy wrappers to give your old phone case a new look and feel
With some creativity, you can dress up an old phone case and make it look new again., while showing your creative side to make a phone case that really shows your personality.
2. Get crafty with your phone case
With some creativity, art materials, and spare time, you can craft an old phone case to be even more useful.
- Use fabric or leather to make a clutch: With a little sewing skill, you can make your case into a clutch, for extra convenience.
- Add a mirror: You can hot glue a small mirror to your phone case to make sure your look is just right before you snap.
- Get versatile: You could also use hot glue to attach your phone case to a wallet, pocketbook, or notebook, for more convenience
Using phone case crafts, you can make your phone more attractive and even more useful.
3. Recycle your old phone case
Of course you know that you can recycle your old phone, but you can recycle your old phone case as well.
- Recycle online: Check out online cell phone recycling programs – many of them will accept old cell phone cases.
- Recycle locally: The EPA website and your local government website also have local guidelines and destinations for recycling phone cases.
- Check with your provider: Often your phone provider will have recommendations for how to recycle your old phone case.
Recycling your phone case is better for the environment than simply throwing it away, and it’s not that hard to do.
4. Repurpose your old phone case
You can repurpose an old phone case and get new use out of it. With some paint, hot glue, and mod podge you can transform an old cell phone case into something useful.
- Ring tray: An old cell phone case can be a cute ring tray and hold trinkets or spare change when placed on a nightstand or near the door.
- Business card holder: You could reuse your old phone case to hold business cards, or even credit and debit cards
- Picture frame: Turn an old cell phone case into a pretty frame for your favorite picture, or a special souvenir, and display it in style.
People are using old cell phone cases as drink coasters, soap dishes, note pad holders, and more. Check Pinterest for even more ideas.
5. Sell your old phone case
Depending on what kind of case you have and what condition it is in, you may even be able to sell your old cell phone case.
- E-commerce sites: If you already have an eBay, Etsy, or Amazon seller account, it’s easy to sell your cell phone case that way. But if it’s just one or two cases, it may not be worth all that effort.
- Social media or Craigslist: Consider making a listing in your local Facebook marketplace, or even just posting a pic and a price on Instagram. You may only get a couple bucks for it, but it’s better than nothing.
- Trade up: Ask your friends and family and see if you can’t get someone to trade your old cell phone case for something that you want more. Make a game out of it and see what you can get
You may be surprised at what people are willing to pay for an old cell phone case, if it’s in good condition. It’s worth trying.
6. Donate Your Phone Case
Yes, you can definitely donate your old phone case. If you have a local charity or thrift shop, such as Goodwill or The Salvation Army, you can give them your old phone case to sell to someone else looking for one.
There are also nonprofit organizations that provide gently used tech items to people seeking jobs or people with disabilities. Call your local career centers, temporary work businesses, United Way, or other job seeking facilities to offer them your old phone case.
Cell Phones For Soldiers provides a way to send old cell phones and their cases to military service members and their families.
The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence will also take unwanted cell phone cases to help domestic violence survivors.
The 1 Million Project Foundation provides free cell phones, their accessories, and wireless services to one million low-income high school students. A student would definitely appreciate having your old cell phone case to dress up their phone.
So instead of just throwing away your old cell phone case, look at it as an opportunity to get creative. Seek out some inspiration and transform your trash into treasure. You may be surprised at what you can make out of it, and you’ll have fun along the way. And if you’re not crafty, and make a mess out of it, you can also just sell or donate it.